Caution: this soup is so sweet and comforting, it might replace your significant other.
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Orange and Ginger
Courtesy of: Janet and Greta Podleski (The Looneyspoons Collection)
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 cups peeled, cubed yams or sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated gingerroot
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons light (5%) sour cream
- Minced fresh cilantro (or herb of your choice) for garnish (optional)
- Spray a shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add yams, onions, olive oil, and garlic. Stir well. Roast, uncovered, at 425F for 25 minutes. Stir once, halfway through cooking time.
- Transfer mixture to a large pot. Add broth, orange zest, gingerroot, clove, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, carefully transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Serve hot with a swirl of sour cream in the center. Garnish with herb of your choice, if desired.